Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Project Five-Star: The First Class

In the last blog I went over how I would like Project Five-Star to progress. The first stage is to get office space large enough to hold the first skills training class. Then we would need computers, both to work with and to work on, because the first training class will be to get A+ Certification.

A+ is a world-wide recognized way to show that you have computer hardware and software skills. It is either required or preferred when applying for computer jobs. In this job market, there will be more applicants that are certified in A+ than those that are not, so it is to the advantage of anyone trying to get a computer job to get that certification.

A+ is broken into two categories: Hardware and Software. As such, the first training class will also cover both hardware and software. Now, to be honest, I don’t have any computer certifications, but I’ve been working with computers, both hardware and software for most of my life. I would take the certification, if I had the money to spare, which I never seem to have. So after gaining an initial donation of money and computers, I’ll be taking the certification exam for each of the classes. I’d also like to be a certified trainer, but that can wait.

Once the proper certifications are met and the computers that we’ll need are procured, comes the recruitment. I’d like to train 10 men and women at a time, four hours a day, five days a week; two classes per day. It will be hard on me, to be sure, as in addition to the classes, I’ll be handling any administrative functions until Project Five-Star can afford its own staff. But to me it’s worth it, even if only half the classes passes.

The final project for each student in this class is to put together a computer from the parts, diagnose any problems that crop up and install Windows®. Once I’m satisfied that they can pass the Comptia test, we will use Project Five-Star funds to arrange the test and let each student take the exam. Those that pass will be allowed into the next class.

The second class (out of 3) is Red Hat Linux Administration. I’d like to arrange with Red Hat for a copy of their software and a license for 10 computers. The class will install the software on the same computers as Windows®, learning how to dual-boot in the process. Then they will learn the ins and outs of administration and basic system security. When I am satisfied that they are ready to take the certification exams, Project Five-Star funds will be used to pay for the exams. Those that pass will be allowed to take the final class in the series.

The final class in the series is Cisco training. They will learn how to set up a network using both Windows® and Red Hat Linux, and Cisco routers and Network Interface Cards. Once I am satisfied that they will pass certification, Project Five-Star will pay for the exams.

Now, during this time each member will have been considered as working for project Five-Star, as all members will once the whole system gets into place. I cannot estimate how long the process will take at this time, but let’s say six months for all three classes. That’s six months of experience that the member will be able to claim on a resume.

The classes will be recorded on video, and broadcast live on our web site, as a way of showing to the world that we’re making progress and that we’re open and above board.

No comments:

Post a Comment